4-H STEM Specialist
The Pennsylvania State University Extension, 4-H, is seeking a State Specialist to provide leadership and technical support for STEM programs and projects in positive youth development and support these program areas through collaboration at the state, multi-state, and national levels. Positive youth development includes programs, activities, and resources in non-formal academic settings. STEM is a curriculum based on the concept of educating youth in four specific disciplines - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics - in an interdisciplinary and applied approach. The position will also focus on expanding partnerships and bringing ancillary external resources to support the Pennsylvania State University Extension 4-H Youth Development Program.
Major responsibilities include:
- Provide direction and vision to the Pennsylvania 4-H STEM programs including the development and maintenance of an organizational infrastructure that increases the reach of 4-H programs, which are to be based on the needs of PA youth, families, and local communities.
- Manage the implementation of the Pennsylvania 4-H STEM program including leading
4-H Extension staff who are members of the 4-H STEM working group to develop, deliver, and evaluate new and innovative 4-H programming and learning experiences.
- Expand educational resources and opportunities for youth through diverse delivery methods and technology accounting for various learning styles ensuring programs are research-based, include a variety of educational delivery methods, contain evaluation components based on sequential learning, and demonstrate behavioral change.
- Develop, maintain, and evaluate curricula and training materials to address science content areas in the four specific disciplines - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics that ensure curricula match the nationally recognized science standards.
- Prepare culturally responsive curriculum materials and implementation strategies that will engage youth who have not been traditionally involved in the 4-H program with special emphasis on creating activities, educational materials, and programs that retain youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Create, design, conduct, and evaluate teacher, volunteer, and staff professional development opportunities with an emphasis on local-level educational opportunities for members.
- Develop and maintain relationships with faculty and staff from departments and units within the College and across the University, teachers, industry representatives, and external organizations which have a STEM focus and interest in partnering with 4-H youth development. Create a network of youth, volunteers, staff, and stakeholders to serve in an informal program development program advisory capacity.
- Actively seek external funding including STEM grants and private gifts to financially support and advance the enhancement and promotion of new and innovative STEM programming.
- Design a program evaluation strategy for communicating the impact of the 4-H STEM program focusing on life skill development, knowledge gained, and behavioral change.
- Engage in scholarship to support educational program areas including articles for professional journals, workshops, poster sessions, and service on professional boards.
This position will serve as a key member of a team of 4-H Youth Development Specialists who collaboratively works with the strategic content priorities of STEM, Animal Science, Expressive Arts, Healthy Living, Environmental Sciences, Shooting Sports, Leadership, Civic Engagement, and Access and Belonging. These Specialists work together to identify and develop high-quality education programs and workforce readiness initiatives.
The position is based in Penn State Extension, State 4-H Office at University Park, PA.
The position will be filled as an Education Program Specialist 3 or 4, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. This position typically requires a Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) or higher plus four years of related experience for a level 3. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher-level jobs. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in agriculture, science education, education, youth development, or a closely related discipline. Candidates must also be willing to work flexible hours. The candidate must be able to carry equipment and educational materials and supplies, with or without accommodation.
The candidate should have prior experience with the following:
- Professional experience working with volunteer and youth programs (preferably experience working in Extension or 4-H Youth Development).
- Excellent presentation and organizational skills.
- Effective team communication skills; in-person, via technologies, and in groups.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in cross-cultural environments.
- Willingness to travel.
- Competent in using Microsoft Office package, and online applications.
- Demonstrated the ability to coordinate, plan, and implement events, workshops, trainings, and programs.
- Organize and prepare information and materials, and communicate with volunteers and the public, both verbally and in writing.
This position requires the following clearances: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties. A valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to the clearances.
Application Requirements: Required documents during the application process include a resume/CV, letter outlining qualifications, educational philosophy, and a list of three (3) professional references.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/Penn-State-University-Park/XMLNAME-4-H-STEM-Specialist_REQ_0000037956-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency