Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
Penn State Extension seeks an innovative, energetic professional with a passion for positive youth development to implement the Dauphin County 4-H program as well as support the statewide program.
4-H utilizes hands-on activities to foster critical thinking, leadership development, and community engagement. Programs are delivered through non-formal setting, such as 4-H clubs, camps, school enrichment, and after-school programs. Volunteers play an important role in the success of these endeavors, serving as club leaders, coaches and mentors.
The individual in this position works as a representative of Penn State in the delivery of a comprehensive 4-H Youth Development program in a wide range of 4-H curriculum areas. This includes maintaining and expanding existing local 4-H club programs, supervision of programs delivered by program assistants and volunteers, building community collaborations and partnerships, developing a revenue enhancement portfolio, and creating a professional development plan.
Major responsibilities include:
- Implement educational programs, materials, and activities as part of the overall efforts of the Pennsylvania 4-H program and the identified needs of local county.
- Recruit, screen, train, and support adult volunteers.
- Promote the 4-H program to retain current members and to recruit new and diverse youth audiences.
- Provide leadership for efforts that harmonize urban and rural populations. This could include local food production and promotion, broadening the connection between urban and rural agriculture, strengthening economic development with education to help youth and adults with job training, community engagement, and leadership development, and food insecurity issues, and needs for first generation 4-H families and those not previously served by Extension.
- Effectively, work with the County 4-H Program Development Committee to plan the local program including a fundraising strategy.
- Provide effective communication to volunteers, youth, and parents to ensure a quality experience.
- Foster relationships and developing partnerships with other youth serving groups, schools, or organizations.
- Coordinate registration, supervision, and transportation for participants in 4-H related events held in other counties, across the state, or out of state.
- Implement program evaluation, documentation, and reporting.
- Provide administrative oversight to 4-H volunteers, youth and clubs to ensure that policy and procedural expectations are followed.
- Manage funds raised in the name of 4-H at the club and county levels.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Director of Programs and Area 4-H Educator.
The position will be filled at an Extension Educator 2 level, which typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher (Master's degree preferred) plus one year of related experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have a degree in youth development, agriculture, communication, education, nutrition, community development, leadership or closely related field and who have 4-H experiences. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
Candidate should possess teaching, program development and evaluation skills, and demonstrate positive human relations and effective communication skills necessary to work effectively with youth, parents, leaders, government officials, and the general public. The candidate must be able to be able to carry equipment and educational materials and supplies, with or without accommodation.
This position requires the following clearances: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check. The candidate also must possess a valid driver's license and have use of a private vehicle. Because the position requires operating a motor vehicle as part of the job duties, successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to the three clearances. Candidate must also be willing to work flexible hours.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/Dauphin/Extension-Educator--4-H-Youth-Development_REQ_0000022525-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency