Extension Educator - Dairy
The College of Agricultural Sciences is seeking an Extension Educator trained in dairy science or dairy business management to join our nationally-recognized Penn State Extension Dairy Team. The individual will be responsible for actively working with the team to identify important dairy industry issues, formulate learning objectives, develop educational events and materials to support these objectives, and participate in evaluations to measure the team's educational impact. While we are seeking disciplinary expertise in dairy herd management, it is expected that competitive candidates will have a general understanding of nutrient management principles and advanced dairy production practices. Experience in milk quality, calf and heifer management, transition cow management, ventilation principles, organic dairy production systems, precision technologies, or forage feed management are favorable attributes. The Extension Educator will:
- Work closely with university-based research faculty to develop and conduct applied research relevant to clientele needs.
- Have a pivotal role in significant statewide efforts to reduce nutrient loading in waterways, precision dairy feeding or monitoring, and improving cash flow and cost of production.
- Work effectively on a team and with diverse populations and audiences.
- Develop and/or participate in interdisciplinary collaborations across multiple disciplines and institutions.
- Create a diverse external funding portfolio (e.g., grants, contracts, cost recovery, development) supporting the team's programs.
- Develop original content to engage audiences through innovative educational methods such as online courses, videos, mobile apps, and electronic publications, in addition to traditional publications and in-person presentations.
Primary responsibilities will include planning, implementing, conducting, and evaluating a broad educational program for adults with dairy enterprises, especially initiatives that can increase dairy profitability and advance farm-level measures to enhance food safety and milk quality. Success in these educational initiatives enables Pennsylvania dairy enterprises to contribute to economic growth and employment in the Commonwealth. While the successful candidate will be based in Extension Area 5 (Centre, Clinton, Snyder, Union, Northumberland, Montour and Columbia Counties), they will be part of a state team and thus expected to participate and deliver programs statewide. The home base will be the Penn State Extension office, Union County (Office Location: 343 Chestnut St # 3, Mifflinburg, PA 17844).
Education and Experience Requirements:
This job will be filled as a level 3 or 4 depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. This position typically requires a Master's degree or higher plus two years of related experience for a level 3 or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher level jobs.
Additional Preferred Education, Experience, or Certifications:
Candidates with a Bachelor's degree and strong work experience may be considered. Preference will be given to candidates who have one or more degrees in dairy science, dairy business management, agricultural economics, animal science, dairy nutrition, or related disciplines and work experience with multiple aspects of dairy management.
The successful individual must:
- Possess skills for excellent teaching, program development, impact evaluation, and grant management.
- Demonstrate positive human relations and effective communication skills necessary to work effectively with team members, farmers, industry representatives, government officials, and the general public.
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills required in English and valued in Spanish.
- Be proficient in the application of computer software such as Office 365 and PCDart.
- Possess a valid driver's license, use a private automobile, and have the ability and desire to travel.
Since this position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as part of your job duties, successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks. This position is an opportunity to join one of the nation's leading extension organizations when it is embarking on an exciting new business model that encourages entrepreneurship and innovation.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/Union/Extension-Educator---Dairy_REQ_0000035369-2
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency